When home schooling, there is increased flexibility in going outside of any state mandated curriculum. For students and parents interested in exploring more STEM education options, robotics is a great way to introduce both technology and computer science (software programming) to young minds. Robots can sparked an interest in STEM or help further develop an existing interest. In this post, we’ve curated our list of best robotics kits for home school. Kits are organized in ascending complexity, from not requiring and knowledge of programming to requiring knowledge of programming and computers.
Kids First Robot Factory: Wacky, Misfit, Rogue Robots Home School STEM Experiment Kit
- Introductory mechanical engineering kit for kids age 5+
- A beautifully-illustrated storybook manual follows Ty and Karlie, two young engineers, as they help fix some wacky robots at the robot factory!
- Clear and detailed step-by-step assembly instructions guide children to build 8 motorized models of the rogue robots from the story.
- Model building develops fine motor skills: compatible with other Kids First early engineering kits, the large cubic building components are perfect for the target age group.
- Motor box: The included battery-powered motor box is what gets the models moving! (2 AA batteries required, not included)
Thames & Kosmos SpringBots STEM Kit | Home School | Build 3 Spring-Powered Robots
- Introductory STEM kit for kids age 6+
- 3-in-1 engineering kit: Assemble three cool robots, wind them up, and watch them go–no batteries required!
- The models are powered by a mainspring, the main device found in old-fashioned clocks.
- Models include a race car that drives up to 60 feet, a robot that walks up to 20 inches, and a countdown timer that counts down up to 6 minutes.
- Includes a 64-page, full-color manual with clear language, simple step-by-step illustrated instructions, and scientific explanations.
Botley the Coding Robot Activity Set, Screen-Free Coding Robot for Home School Kids
- Introductory robot stem learning tool for kids age 5+
- Botley features completely screen-free coding: no phone or tablet required. Botley’s easy-to-use remote programmer sends commands and gets him rolling.
- Botley has the ability to detect objects in front of him and avoid them. He can also follow looping commands, take on obstacle courses, and follow black-line paths
4M Table Top Robot | Home School STEM Kit
- Introductory STEM kit for ages 9+
- Kids build a scuttling mechanical crab that gets close but won’t fall over the edge
- Easy to assemble, This robotics kit gives kids a real hands-on opportunity to build their own moving robot
- Includes components, accessories and easy-to-follow instructions. You will need a small cross Head screwdriver and 1 AA battery (not included)
Snap Circuits Mechanical Coding Robot | Home School STEM Kit
- Introductory robot learning tool for kids age 10+
- This mission-based, entry level robot is designed to inspire young engineers to learn about mechanical engineering principles and coding basics.
- ‘Coding’ is done mechanically by changing wheel parts, no computer required
- This stem robot can throw, lift, kick, draw, and more, All by snapping the Coding buttons onto the Coding wheel.
- Build it. Code it. Watch it move!
Thames & Kosmos | Robotics Smart Machines | Home School Robotics STEM Kit
- This kit gives kids a simple, fun, and customizable introduction to robotics that lets them build eight motorized machines.
- Using the graphical app interface, you can visually program the robots (no coding required) you build to behave based on the feedback coming from the ultrasound sensor.
- A full-color, 64-page step-by-step illustrated manual helps kids assemble all of the models and teaches them about robotics in the real world.
- Parents’ Choice Gold Award Recipient
Artie 3000 The Coding Robot: Drawing Robot | Home School Coding Kit
- Artie 3000 is the coding robot for kids 7+ where you design the code, and Artie 3000 draws the lines!
- Artie makes a great activity for kids to stay engaged, entertained, and learning at home or in the classroom
Makeblock mBot Coding Home School Robot Kit
- Advanced introductory robot learning tool for kids age 8+
- Designed for learning electronics, robotics and programming in a simple and fun way, mBot is an excellent educational robot toy.
- mBot STEM building kit can be easily built within one hour with just a screw.
- Makeblock offers rich tutorials, available both on online community and coding cards (included). Matched with 3 free Makeblock apps, and mBlock software, kids can enjoy remote control, play programming games, and program with mBot. It’s easy for your kids to start coding with mbot.
Geeek Club Robot Nano Bots Home School STEM Robotics Kits
- Advanced robotic kit for ages 12+
- Requires soldering, a good opportunity to learn this required skill for electrical & hardware engineers (good soldering kit not included)
- Learn the basics of engineering, robotics, and machine design while having fun with our advanced robot STEM kit
- Includes components for 7 Smart Nano Bots: 7 x printed circuit boards, building, and engineering components, simple instructions to bring your robots to life.
SunFounder Smart Video Car Kit | Home School Raspberry Pi Programming Kit
- Advanced robotic kit for ages 14+
- An in depth review is available from us
- Perfect robot kits for adults to learn Raspberry Pi (Compatible with RPi 4B/3B/3B+/2B/2B+, Raspberry Pi is NOT included), robotics, electronics and program
- Wide-angle USB webcam for real-time image/video transmission.
- Remote control with the UI on PC or on a web browser (mobiles, tablets…)
- Guides and tutorials available for assembly, code available to program and control
Sphero BOLT: App-Enabled Robot Ball with Programmable Sensors + LED Matrix | Home School Programming Kit
- Advanced robotic kit for ages 13+
- Sphero BOLT is a programmable robot ball that you can drive and code, providing endless opportunities to be creative and have fun while learning
- Packed with plenty of programmable sensors including a compass, light sensor, gyroscope, accelerometer, motor encoders, and infrared communications, along with an eye-catching and animated LED matrix, Sphero BOLT is paving the way for the next generation of coders
We hope this post helped inspire ideas on the best robotics kit for home school at a difficulty level that matches your student or child’s needs. For a breakdown by specific age groups, check out our collection of best robotics kits for kids.
For more hardware programming oriented stem kits, consider checking out our best arduino microcontroller stem kits.